My daughter’s birthday is in July which means that I spend most of June (starting with Memorial Day) and July focused on items that are red, white, and blue. Not only do we have the 4th of July near her birthday, but in Utah, we also have the 24th of July as a holiday where we use red, white, and blue coloring for decorations. My poor daughter will probably be sick of red, white, and blue parties within the next few years but as for now, I am really enjoying it. I love the colors and how much they pop! It is so perfect for the parties and barbecues we enjoy throughout the summer.
Skittles is one of my family’s favorite treats. I love how colorful they are and that each color has a unique taste yet if you eat them all together, they still taste delicious. These beloved Skittles now come in the signature American colors which is perfect for all of my red, white, and blue needs. The unique colors have made it easy to create various items with them including some appetizing white cupcakes bursting with Skittles where you can “taste the rainbow.” They’re seriously delicious.
These Skittles America Mix can be found on Amazon. I used Amazon Prime so it arrived in only two days on my doorstep and the kids were so excited! They were so excited that they tried to open up the bags of Skittles America Mix immediately and when I told them that I got to use them first, they immediately went to the box and started ripping it up. However, they did make a pretty neat-looking “rocket.” They were just so excited about the Amazon Prime box that they couldn’t help but be a little creative with it.
While they were busy being creative and working on their rocket, I got busy being creative and making some desserts for friends to enjoy with us. I decided on these scrumptious white cupcakes with fluffy frosting and filling the cupcakes with Skittles America Mix.
First, I creamed together a lot of butter, a whole lot of sugar, baking powder, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract. I let them beat together for about five minutes until it all turned fluffy and yummy. (Yes, I totally ate some because sugar and butter is so good.)
Next I took some egg whites and added them in slowly to create a wet paste. Then with my spatula, I added in the flour and milk until just mixed. Well, no, that’s a lie. I always over-mix my batter so as you will notice, my cupcakes sink a bit which is okay for these because to fill the cupcakes, I needed to create a hole in the middle anyway.
After putting about 1/4 cup of batter into my bright-colored muffin cups, I baked them and watched anxiously for them to be done. I also have a bad habit of overcooking cupcakes so that’s why I watch them closely.
I pulled out the cupcakes, let them sit on cooling racks, and when they were completely cool, I opened them up with my little scoop to create a hole in the middle of the cupcake.
Skittles America Mix were poured into the cupcakes. I also ate about a handful every time I needed to put some into a different cupcake.
I put together a fluffy frosting, piped it onto to the tops of the cupcakes, and added some sprinkles. My friend says that cupcakes always taste better with sprinkles so I took that into consideration as I was adding final touches to my display of desserts.
And that’s it. Super simple and insanely delicious.
White Cupcake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
1. Cream together butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Mix for about 5 minutes.
2. At a low speed, slowly add in egg whites. Add in a little at a time to make sure it is well mixed.
3. Using a spatula, carefully mix about half of the flour into the mix and then half of the milk. Once incorporated, stir in the rest of the flour and then milk.
4. Heat the oven to 350°F. Place about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin/cupcake cup.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Watch carefully to ensure cupcakes do not over bake.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. Cream butter. Gradually add in sugar until well incorporated.
2. Add in vanilla.
3. Slowly add a little milk and continue to mix for about 3 minutes.
How to make White Cupcakes filled with Skittles
1. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, use a spoon or small melon baller to scoop out the middle of the cupcake.
2. Add in Skittles America Mix until filled.
3. Pipe on frosting on top of the hole.
4. Optional: add sprinkles.
5. Serve and enjoy!