We moved into our house in 2014. It was built in 1992 so it had a good 90s feel to it, but unfortunately, not one that I actually enjoy. We had originally wanted to buy a home that was built around 2010 but couldn’t find a good one in our price range. For our price range, we had to go back about 20 years and happened to find our home in a cute little neighborhood in a city that I had wanted to live in for the past 7 years so it worked out well.
However, the home is outdated with its yellow paint and very enclosed spaces making each room its own very separate room. Our original plan was to knock down some walls. We wanted to open up the basement and open up the main floor to create a more open living space but in the end, we realized it may decrease our home value when trying to resell it since we would be getting rid of rooms and bedrooms so we left it as is.
Instead, we have been doing our best to update it with paint and fixtures. For about 6 months we worked on the basement on and off. We had flooding in 2 of the rooms so it really helped us get going on the basement.
Our main floor bathroom seemed like a quick and easy project so we decided to take it on a few days before friends were to arrive to stay with us. This past summer we had someone visiting our house almost every other week and it was fantastic but I had these terrible ideas to start projects right before they arrived. The main floor bathroom was one of those terrible ideas.
Originally we thought we would just paint the upper half of the bathroom. The bathroom was split horizontally into 2 so I thought painting half would not be too bad. But if I was going to paint the upper half, I’d have to take down the mirror and light fixture to paint behind it so we might as well replace them while they were already down. Since I was going to paint half, then I started thinking I might as well paint the whole wall but if I was going to paint the whole wall, I really needed to take down the tile that was separating the wall horizontally. If I was going to take down the tile, it was connected to the vanity so we might as well switch out the vanity since we were already going to have to fix part of it. Once we took the vanity out, it was clear that the floor laminate was gross and they had placed it on top of other laminate flooring that was really gross so we decided to rip it out and put in a new floor. And at that point, the only thing left was the really short stubby toilet that anyone bigger than a 10 year old had a hard time sitting on so we replaced it as well. The only thing that wasn’t going to be touched was the ceiling, until I started fixing the edges with white ceiling paint and realized the ceiling wasn’t white so it had to be painted as well.
What started out as a 1-hour project to quickly paint the top half of the bathroom ended up being a 6-day project and $1400 later, we had a complete bathroom remodel. The time spent was frustrating but the results are amazing! I’m also so glad we did it ourselves because we saved ourselves some serious money.