Recently I acquired the Samsung Galaxy GS8 at Walmart (available online only). It was by far the best purchase I have made all year. Although my husband loves technology for its technology, I love technology, and more specifically smart phones because of their cameras. To me, an amazing camera on my phone is exactly what I need!
First of all, before I get to the amazing camera, let’s talk about why the GS8 is such a great choice for a phone. Unlocked by Samsung lets you pick more than just your new smartphone. You can choose your carrier, data plan, services, features and apps, so you can get your phone exactly the way you want it¹. Walmart online also offers the Unlocked Samsung Galaxy GS8+ which is more expansive with the biggest screen yet.
Unlocked by Samsung smartphones work on multiple U.S. networks, so you have the freedom to pick a carrier and plan that fits your life. When you’re ready for an adventure, Unlocked by Samsung makes it easy – just pop in a compatible SIM card and take your device anywhere, from Mexico City to Paris and more.²
Unlocked by Samsung guarantees your new smartphone lives up to the exceptional standards you expect from Samsung. You’ll also get extra peace of mind because all Unlocked by Samsung smartphones come with a standard U.S. limited warranty.³
Once turning on the phone and during set up, I loved having fewer preloaded apps. Setting up my phone was quick and simple and once I inserted my current SIM card and connected my phone to my previous account, I was able to immediately enjoy the phone.
I have really loved the GS8. When available on other phones, I am able to do video calling which is a fun upgrade from my older phone. I enjoy the great battery life. As far as the design goes, it’s been my favorite. It is slightly longer and narrower so it’s easy to hold. It has an infinity screen which is a rounded screen so the screen reaches from edge to edge to really take advantage of the space of the phone. It gives you the most amount of screen in the least amount of space. I didn’t think it would be such a big deal but I actually love it a lot. The home and back keys are display buttons that can disappear so you can take full advantage of the screen.
The GS8 has an IP68 water resistance rating which means it’s resistant against an accidental dunk or a little rain on the phone. For security, the GS8 offers an iris scanner for all those times you are wearing gloves or would just prefer another great, safe way to keep your phone protected. The GS8 also has a very quick charging speed. It also has a fast wireless charging so you can power up without having to plug in. Charger is sold separately. This GS8 also has a slot for a microSD card to expand storage up to 256GB. MicroSD card sold separately. This gives me plenty of storage space for all of those videos and photos I take!
My personal favorite of the GS8, however, is its camera. So what’s so great about this camera? I have had Samsung Galaxies in the past and the camera has always been great on them. But the new GS8 has some really great features that as a mom trying to capture everyday life, you’re not going to want to go without. There are so many amazing features to this camera but I will list my top five favorites.
1. Motion Photo. Through the camera settings you are able to turn on the ability to capture a video the few seconds leading up to taking the photo. This has been huge for me because sometimes I catch the cutest little things on the camera right before I take that “perfect” photo.
2. Pro. The ability to use your phone camera as a professional camera is an incredible feature. I have owned a DSLR for the last 8 years and have hesitated letting my phone take over catching important moments in my children’s lives and even while on vacation I would lug my DSLR around everywhere I went. Well, that time has passed because my GS8 can handle any photo I throw at it. I can change the ISO, aperture, f-stop, white balance, and contrast as needed. From the pro settings, I can also quickly change the filter as well. I can choose options such as “vivid,” “soft,” and “nostalgic” which all give varying lighting to my photo.
3. Stickers & Faces. This is one feature that I have been longing for. Normally you would need to download an app to have the ability to add stickers and see faces on your Samsung Galaxy but not anymore! Entertaining the kids (and myself) with the camera has become simple as we change from a dog to a fox to a seal to a cowboy in no time at all. And when I’m taking selfies of myself and the kids, I can easily add on pre-made stickers and sayings that say things like “summer time,” “together,” and “vacation.” This is all done right from the camera so you never even have to leave your screen. You see all of it change in real time.
4. Bixby Vision. This is huge. This is changing my shopping experiences. This is preventing me from having to always ask friends where they bought something. Bixby Vision detects what you’re looking at and gives you the info you need. It shows notable locations nearby, searches for similar images, translates text, reads QR codes, and more.
5. Video editor. The GS8 video editor is fantastic. It allows you to create GIFs and also allows you to edit your video all from the camera app without any extra installs. You can change the video effects, you can trim the video, and you can even add music and change the audio of your video.
The GS8 has all of these great features to help keep your memories of your everyday life. I never knew I needed all of this and now that I have it, I don’t want to go without it.
Growing up, my parents had SLRs and cameras with film. They had become automated but I remember going every couple of months with my mom to the store to get the film developed. She would always find out then how well her photos turned out. It was a weird time in life. But because of film and the cost of getting photos developed, most of my photos of my childhood were of me smiling, looking right at the camera.
Well, the days of film and only getting 30 printed pictures at one time are long gone and these are some photos and videos that I don’t think you should miss:
- Kids talking. I don’t know what it is about kids when they speak but so often there is so much emotion behind what they are saying. They are expressive and it’s adorable. I take some photos and videos of my kids talking every few months. I hope they never lose that expressiveness.
- Kids at lessons. Our kids are fortunate enough to be in some classes so I grab stills and videos of them practicing. Their recitals, performances, games, and competitions are great times for photos but I also want to remember how they developed those skills and want to show them how far they have come.
- Kids playing. There is nothing more fun than watching kids imagine and play by themselves, with siblings, or with friends. Their imaginations run wild.
- Kids sleeping. Maybe it’s because all day long the kids are go, go, go, but there’s something so special and peaceful about when the kids finally zonk out. My kids have a habit of accumulating books, toys, and animals on their beds with them and I like to snap a quick photo of all the things they loved at that particular moment to allow it all to sleep on their bed with them. Naps in the car or times they accidentally fell asleep at the table or on the stairs are also favorites of mine.
- Kids’ creations. We have dedicated a wall in our house to all of the kids art projects and things they are proud of (tests, certificates, etc.) and we rotate through creations every so often as the wall becomes too full but we also make sure to take photos of them because those photos will last forever. I also love taking photos of their sand “castles” (because they look more like sand mounds with holes) and their play dough art. I take photos of the clothes they decided go together for the day, the forts they made from all the cushions and blankets they could find in the house, and the food creations they concocted even though I really didn’t want them to because those are the sweet, precious memories I want to remember.
What are things you want to remember about your children’s lives? What are the photos you normally take? Do you have the Samsung Galaxy GS8?
¹ Wireless voice, data and messaging services on Samsung Unlocked Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge devices are compatible with most major U.S. GSM and CDMA networks. For these devices, wireless services are available on GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA networks such as Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular®. Visit www.samsung.com for more information on your device. Support for certain features and services such as VoWiFi and hotspot, vary by wireless service provider. Wireless voice, data and messaging services on Samsung Unlocked Galaxy S6 and Galaxy J3 devices are compatible with most major U.S. GSM networks. For these devices, wireless services are available on GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile. Visit www.samsung.com for more information on your device. Support for certain features and services such as VoWiFi and hotspot, vary by wireless service provider.
SIM card must be compatible with area’s available networks. International calling, data services and coverage vary by network provider. Contact provider for details.
.² This Samsung Unlocked phone will work on any GSM or CDMA compatible network. For these devices, wireless services are available on GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA networks such as Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular®. Support for certain rate plans, features, and services such as VoWiFi and hotspot vary by wireless service provider. SIM card must be compatible with area’s available networks. International calling, data services and coverage vary by network provider. Contact provider for details.
³ For more information on Samsung standard U.S. limited warranty, go to samsung.com/customersupport/xxx